- Congratulations to Dr. Danny Hall, Surgery PGY3, and Dr. Joshua Ozbolt, Family Medicine PGY3, for being selected as this year’s winners of the OSU College of Medicine’s Courage to Teach Award. They were both selected because of their outstanding ability to teach and their humanistic approach to patient care and medical education.
- Congratulations to Dr. Troy Edwards for being elected as a Fellow of the American College of Physicians (ACP), the society of Internists. This distinction recognizes achievements in Internal Medicine.
- Dr. Binay Eapen was recently appointed as Community Assistant Dean for Medical Education with The Ohio State University College of Medicine. Dr. Eapen will serve on the Executive Curriculum Committee of the College in addition to his current position on the Board of Courage to Teach Society. Congratulations, Dr. Eapen!
- Congratulations to Dr. Tim Graham, Director of Family Medicine, for being asked to serve on a national committee within the Association of Family Medicine Residency Directors to survey and better understand where graduating residents are going after residency across the nation.
- Dr. Lowell Chambers did a great job presenting ZeroHarm and how it can reduce the chance for error in critical, high pressure environments at the 2018 Trauma Symposium held at Mount Carmel East in May.
- Surgery Resident Dr. Leslie Addengast presented Surgery Grand Rounds in May. She spoke on resident wellness by sharing national research and survey results of residents at Mount Carmel. She also discussed current initiatives at Mount Carmel to improve wellness and other opportunities.
The annual Ohio State College of Medicine Spring Awards presentation program was held in June. At this special event, two Mount Carmel physicians were recognized for their excellence in teaching to medical students and residents. Dr. Phil Santa-Emma was presented with the Distinguished Educator Award. This award is given to a faculty member who has shown extraordinary commitment to teaching. Dr. Dee Zitter received the Lifetime Achievement Award. The Life-time Achievement Award is one of the most prestigious awards bestowed upon a faculty member in the OSU College of Medicine. Dr. Zitter is an exceptional educator who truly knows what it means to help facilitate student learning.
At a department of OB/GYN meeting at MCSA, Dr. Michael Haninger was recognized for the wonderful job he has done as medical student site director at MCSA for the past 3 years. He was thanked for all his hard work and some of the wonderful comments by medical students were shared.